RCU Forums - View Single Post - Will the FAA kill model flying...?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 12:56 AM
Nige321

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by olnico
Model flying is a vocational and teaching activity.
Kids used go to a meeting with Dad, see some cool demo by the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels, dream about it.
Eventually Dad would buy them a kit and they'll start building and flying RC together. Creating the strongest bond to aviation, and the best memories.

This was prevalent up to 30 years ago. Now RC flying is a stuff of the past.
Consequence: we see young graduates applying to a job in the Aerospace sector because it is cool and salaries are high.
However, the guys have absolutely no passion, no drive and no real deep understanding of how an airplane flies and stays safe.

The result is, among others, the debacle of the 737 max, F-35.

That is just to cite concrete examples that came to the public in the USA. There are hundreds of other examples to cite from Europe, Asia ...

I witness this in person almost on an everyday basis. I interview young aerospace graduates from prestigious universities who have absolutely no idea what a M3 or #4 socket head screw is, how to define a thread and secure components together to certain specs. They can process complex equations and conduct complex simulations on CAD but do not comprehend basics of flight, mechanical assemblies, service ergonomics, safety through redundancy. All these things that RC flying have teached us from the earliest age and that are absolutely obvious to us, are completely stranger to them.
I'm not sure what that says about the standard of US universities...
One of my sons is studying Aerospace Engineering at Nottingham University in the UK, I can assure you he's not in it for the money, and he certainly knows what an M3 socket head screw is...