RCU Forums - View Single Post - Non club member
Thread: Non club member
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 07:18 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
The reason I don’t want “to start with my own back yard” and “lobby against such activity” is why bother? Maybe I don’t think it’s worth my time. Maybe I just don’t want to. Maybe the field quality isn’t worth the time it would take or the pushback?

As for your second comment, what may be “not all that rough” for a 30 cc plane is really rough for a .40 or .20 size. Another example of the elitist assumption that everyone flies large things or should fly large things. What about flying what I like to fly? Sorry it doesn’t meet your standards of what an AMA true believer should fly, but I thought the idea was to be open to everyone? Or is it only to everyone that flies big stuff?

Did it ever occur to you that maybe I don’t want to fly big stuff, because I enjoy the challenge of smaller stuff? You wording would also indicate that maybe I’m expected to change what I fly to match the field. Seems a field that’s suitable on for a limited size/type of stuff has a rather narrow customer base. Then add the dangerous behavior example and cost ... and it’s not worth it. Oh, and before you say “work to make the field smoother”, it’s a full scale grass field and the club does not own the land. And before you say “find another field,” those are even further away, 45 minutes to an hour. Nope. Not worth the drive.

And yes, while I do fly helos, I also fly FW. As I said, I like flying smaller things. I think it makes me better because they are more affected by the wind. I know it really improved my landing skills flying .25 size and smaller RC (including .049 RC).

Typical 3D airplane construction. Not much structure. The plate with the 4 screws is the landing gear mount.
Franklin, my comments had nothing to do with the size of airplane that you prefer to fly. My comment was pointing out the fact that the gas powered 3D type airplanes to achieve the required light wing loadings are quite fragile and do not do well on a rough surface. If that type of airplane had no issues with the runway surface then it is doubtful something like an Apprentice or Timber size airplane would not have either. Size of the airplane really has nothing to do with it. Are you somehow under the impression that back in 1977 I was learing to fly on a giant scale airplane? There was nothing Elitest about my comments so no you can't cry foul, maybe next time actually read what I have written without that chip on your shoulder.