RCU Forums - View Single Post - DLE 60cc Twin break in question
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 02:09 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cathurga
I would add to that, but not as a 'must do', is the installation of Bowman/BjornBaal rings as well. The engine will bed in quicker, and run better over the ling term with a set of those. My personal experience with them (in a DLE30cc, DLE55RA and an RCGF 70 Twin) is that they do run better, bed in quicker and generally perform a little better than stock rings. Its very easy to shove a set in before starting the engine. There are some divided opinions on them, but mostly positive results.

The only 'must do' for me, is to throw the spark plugs that it comes with, in the bin, and put some NGK's in it.

keep the engine a little rich during break-in, and I use 32:1 oil ratio and after a few tanks, change that to 40:1 and you will be golden.
Again, agree with the above. I'd repeat the Bjorn rings are not required but certainly desirable. The engine will run just fine with the stock rings but the break in time will be extended. The last two DLE engines I bought came with NGK plugs in the DLE sealed box so if the engine is fairly new, you may already have them.

DLE engines aren't the only engines that benefit from using Bjorn's rings. I've used them is several other expensive name brand engines with results the same as when installed in the Chinese engines. When the Chinese engines first made their appearance in the US market, the rings were extremely hard and not always quite round. Cylinder walls were also less than desirable and the combination made for an engine that seemingly took forever to break in. These days the Chinese rings and cylinders are very much improved but their rings still take longer to break in (bed in as some say) than when a Bjorn ring is used. A very worth while addition to the engine but keep in mind, this voids the warranty unless installed by someone like Valley View RC that installs them in new engines as an option.