RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito FG-60R3
Thread: Saito FG-60R3
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 09:32 PM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Camdy, I assume your engine has not run yet? If so, I would make sure to get some lube into it before running it, I mean manually lube it. Since you are taking the back plate off to change to the intake mod, just drop some oil into the moving parts, no need to go crazy, but just lightly to have some oil in there on first run. Put your initial mix at 30:1 and run it rich as per the manual, sloppy. It helps to have the original exhausts on it so you can see which cylinders are firing and which not. I inverted mine for half of the break in so that 2 and 3 also get some heat cycling. The thread is full of info on the break in process. After 2 tanks like that, I would set it up for flight (not on the cusp of going lean, just so you are getting good revs and a stable idle). Before doing anything, get the timing set up at 28 Degrees BTDC!
As in my posts, even with the intake and timing mods, mine still bust a cylinder, but that could be a number of factors at play:
The cylinder material in the place it breaks, is weak, thats why they have changed it
Compression is high, which is why they have changed the piston
The above two conditions combine to cause potential failure.

I have also abused the engine of mine, it runs in really high ambient temps, it had a 4-bladed prop on it and was run in its original state for a long time before the mods, so this could have caused problems which appeared later.

I suggest to make sure it is nicely cooled/baffled, run it on a 22x10 or 21x12 (depending on air frame) two-blade prop, and use Stihl HP oil and make sure it doesnt run too lean. This isnt a high performance engine, so treat it ias such. Trying to get the last rev out of it will likely cause some problems. After that, you hope you have one that lasts.

If you bought it new, before you run it, take it back to the place you bought it and TELL them that there are changes to new components, you have proof here, and tell them to send it back and get the new version. You will STILL need to change the timing, and the intake mod is always going to be a good option from a longevity perspective.

Good luck