RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pacific Ace 74 inch
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 05:31 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Managed some work time on the build.

Doesn't seem like I got much done, but any forward progress is good, I reckon.

Working on the wing center section with all of the ply dihedral doubles. What I have is not necessarily by t he plans at this point. I am not going to rubber band the wing on, but rather 2 1/4" 20 nylon bolts at the trailing edge, and 2 dowels at the front. The back is easy, and will only be marginally visible after covering., if at all, other than the bolt heads on the top. But the front is were it is much harder to hide the works. The front cockpit area is clear plastic a course. So anything protruding down into the cockpit will be visible. I have been round and round in my head how to do this. Normally the dowels would just stick into the the bulkhead at the wing LE, but that obviously will not work this time. Any structure or hardware below the fuse top stringer will will be visible. So I am stuck with the dowels and the receiving structure has to be above the top fuse stringer.

So actually, I am back to one of my early ideas, go figure. I am taking a clue from one of my biplanes lower wing. The leading edge is notched back, and the LE position former is set back to were the LE would normally be. So what I am going to do is have the Wing's center LE as part of the fuse, and some birch ply as part of it with holes to recieve the 2 wing dowels. The wing LE dihedral doubler will be set back slightly. The wing will simply slide into place, the dowels engaging, and the back bolt down.

Not at all confident that my explanation is very clear. Mud might be mere clear. But this is the best I can translate the picture in my head. I should be more clear in a few days to you, I hope.

I have to get more 1/4" ply before continuing on the wing center section forward the dihedral doubler and the fuse dowel receiver. Tomorrow.

So on the wing center sections TE has a 1/8" dihedral doubler. The doubler on the back of the spars is 1/16", with 1/8" ion the front of the spars. The wings LE doubler will be 1/4" as well as the the part that is epoxied to the top front of the fuse wing saddle.

Ken