RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 01-18-2020, 11:19 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Nearly three years after I had fitted the engine to the airframe, I finally got round to maidening the Harvard this afternoon. I had been having some problems with the slow speed running of the engine, an OS 61 FS Surpass, but that was only a question of making a few mechanical adjustments and regulating the control throws on the transmitter, a Spektrum DX9.

I tested the running of the engine on the stand and measured the cg. It was 10mms in front of the recommended position but I finally ran out of excuses and decided to fly it anyway! It was fine, calm and sunny this afternoon but cold at about 7C or 45F. I turned up at the flying field at about a quarter past three. None of my club mates were there but I unloaded the van, filled the tank, started the engine, and took it to out runway. The wind had picked up and I began to have second thoughts, but I comforted myself with the thought that I am a competent and experienced pilot, although my experience with low wing models is not that extensive, besides I had a 10cc fourstroke in the nose so the model should be capable of handling a bit of a breeze.

I placed the model onto our tarmac runway and advanced the throttle, initially the model wanted to tip over onto its nose but I held it. It accelerated and then I watched amazed as the model took off and tracked beautifully in a steady climb. It required no more than a little aileron and elevator trim before it flew beautifully. I didn't try any aerobatics just circuits and eights but it flew beautifully. I've only fitted a 6 oz or 180 cc tank to it so I brought it in to a superb wheeler landing right on the "piste!"

As I was all alone I have no pictures of the occasion bit here's a pictute of the model on the stand, and another of our runway.