RCU Forums - View Single Post - T-One Models F22 Raptor build thread
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 08:16 AM
cycross

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FenderBean
If any pictures of a twin setup are out there could someone please post them? I am about to start the twin turbine install and could use ideas, the biggest thing I am wonder is how far back you set the motors and what the intent is of the two carbon plates on the bottom bulkhead vs the top just being ply? Its glued in but it has a single bolt in the forward section, did the factory intend something to be done a specific way? I dont know, who knows, I bets somebody knows!
Based on what Kim shared with me, the intention of the two carbon plates was to sandwich one ear of the turbine clamp, or to "slot/drop it in" essentially. That will eliminate the need to put screws to that area yet able to receive the thrust loading onto the fuselage. The top ply is really for the screw-through-hole approach to lock the engine fully in place.
The problem is, every engine has its own mount width and engine diameter. The M166TS will come too narrow to fit properly if the thrust line is to be centrally aligned. I figured I will need ply plates to extend the "wings" of the engine mount to achieve this. I have not actioned it into reality as I have not reach this part of the build.

Someone took a video of a walkaround of Barry's prototype. This was the only glimpse of the turbine mounting I could find. Too low res to make much out. The prototype through-spar also blocked most of the view