RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Sporster 40 sort of
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 01:00 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Lee, Thanks for the input. That was pretty good analyzes. First time I'v seen some do it via YouTube. Much easier than simple text would have been to convey your thoughts.

I noticed last night in the pics that something (actually several somethings) looked off. So I went out this morning to do a more in depth look at things.

One fuse side has a different curve to it. Danged if I know why it did that, never had this type of construction do that so severely. I can't live with it, that's for sure. I think I can get away with adding another sheet of 1/8" balsa, and then sand it to match, maybe 2 at the high point of the curve.

The biggest concern was the fire wall. I was thinking it might have a been a warped piece of ply. I made bothe the fire wall and F1 from some scrap 1/4".

So what i did to check was a ruler to check flatness. That came out OK.

Then jigged the fuse up on one of the inch lines on my steel building board. I made sure to get the fire wall, F1, and the very back centered on the line. I had use the scrap 3/4" ply that I was using as a push block on my little dremel saw. Hmm, then thought well better see if the push block is true. It ain't. Took some digging but I found a piece of OSB the checked true when I laid it on the cast iron bed of my big table saw. That piece of OSB I recognized and know it is really old, So I checked some more. Well pleasant surprise, it was dead on flat no matter how I checked it. Good to go.

I jigged the fuse and the OSB At a perfect right angle and started checking expecting to see a off true fire wall. I wasn't see that though. Nah, can't be right. Check some more and still true. Well I guess I can be persuaded to live with that.

I will have to be much more careful with camera angles.

Interesting that the S.S sim corkscrews in rolls. Hopefully mine will do a little better, but if not no big deal.

Making a servo tray The right hand aircraft ply doubler looks crooked. I fixed that after I saw it in the pic