RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Happy AMA Thread , What do YOU do with them ?
Old 03-06-2020, 05:50 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

"If ya wanna stop a bunch of mechanically inclined people from arguing , show em something SO cool they'll be too amazed to argue"

And so , coming at ya , here's Goodyear's light up tires .

Really ? Light up tires ? Your BSing me here init4fun , right ????

Nope , for real and dead serious , in the late 1950s / early 1960s Goodyear experimented with translucent rubber with the express purpose of lighting the tires from within , a way cool prehistoric forerunner to today's (not quite as cool) "underglow" lights seen on custom cars . They fielded several test cars fitted with the new tires which were a hit everywhere they were shown . In the black & white picture a young lady adjusts her stocking by the light of the tires in New York circa 1961 (if you look close you can see the wire running into the wheel hub that brought power to the 20 bulbs mounted to the inside of the rim) , and in the color shot is a much later custom car sporting a set of the translucent light up tires .

Sadly , they never went into full production as both cost and traction issues forced the abandonment of the project sometime in the mid 1960s , but man oh man would I just LOVE a set of these for my Firebird !!!!

Last edited by init4fun; 03-06-2020 at 05:55 PM.