RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Happy AMA Thread , What do YOU do with them ?
Old 03-07-2020, 04:26 PM
RCUer75345
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Do the FARs or AMA's beloved "code" require one? If yes to either, then you should have waited. If not, then no.
I take it then that should the FAA require such a rule in future - no matter how petty or trivial -- that you would support it?

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Did you obey the altitude limits in part 349?
I would say that I met the intent of Part 349 by practicing "see and avoid", i.e. maintaining assured clear distance between the model and full-scale aircraft.

The model is not equipped with altitude telemetry. Using my Mark I eyeball sensors combined with years of experience, I would estimate my maximum altitude as 399 feet, with the exception of the spin evaluation phase, during which it may have increased to 399.99.

There was no operational reason to fly the model higher than necessary, since nothing short of a thunderstorm updraft would be required for "thermalling" and excessive height could result in loss of orientation. After takeoff on Flight 1 I immediately gained sufficient altitude to safely release the sticks to find the amount of trim adjustment required. Significant adjustments in both roll and pitch trim were needed to permit hands-off cruising so I maintained a comfortable margin, probably 200 - 300 feet. Traffic patterns were kept fairly high (probably 100 feet on downwind leg) since this model descends rapidly with power off.

Once I had trim squared away I performed spins to left and right, both upright and inverted. Since I could not be sure of altitude required for recovery I gained an amount I judged prudent before attempting these manuevers. I should mention that the floor of controlled airspace over our club field is at 700'; we are located on flat ground with unobstructed views in all directions; and full-scale traffic at low altitude in our location is uncommon. My flying buddy acted as spotter during these maneuvers and kept a lookout for traffic. Both of us are private pilots and appreciate the need to maintain separation.

Before you ask, I will say that I made absolutely no attempt to keep the model within the confines of the runway, which is the only land the club leases at the site. Doing so would have required me to perform an impossibly tight traffic pattern for a model of this size and speed, or limit flight to a succession of aerobatic maneuvers such as Immelmann turns and split-S's.

None of the soybean plants in the adjacent field complained.