RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2020, 02:39 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

OK I screwed up! I was confusing the maker's name with the name of the company and the aircraft nickname "Daffy" and not looking at the official name the Defiant! I plead a combination of medication and feeling like crap. Hydro a thousand pardons, you are the winner and next up! Here is an excerpt from this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulton_Paul_DefiantThe Boulton Paul Defiant is a British interceptor aircraft that served with the Royal Air Force (RAF) during World War II. The Defiant was designed and built by Boulton Paul Aircraft as a "turret fighter", without any forward-firing guns, also found in the Blackburn Roc of the Royal Navy.

In combat, the Defiant was found to be reasonably effective at destroying bombers but was vulnerable to the Luftwaffe's more manoeuvrable, single-seat Messerschmitt Bf 109 fighters. The lack of forward-firing armament proved to be a great weakness in daylight combat and its potential was realised only when it was converted to night fighting.[2] It was supplanted as a night fighter by the Bristol Beaufighter and de Havilland Mosquito. The Defiant found use in gunnery training, target towing, electronic countermeasures and air-sea rescue. Among RAF pilots it had the nickname "Daffy"