RCU Forums - View Single Post - SHOCKWAVE 55 SS IS IT A GOOD BOAT?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 08:47 AM
dgmenace73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pb sw55

Hi. I have the 1st gen, non SS version of the Proboat Shockwave 55. Idk if they all came with the engine with no clutch with a carburetor that had no primer bulb or choke but mine absolutely came that way. The manual contradicts itself by saying 23cc in one area then 26cc in another. Someone told me they "thought" 1st gen was a 23cc and SS was a 26cc but I sure don't know. I haven't ran it in over a year. My brother bought it new like that and 1st time in the water it plained out as soon as he dropped it in the water at lake. Then he got into the throttle a little and lost complete radio signal! (Power plant lake so guessing high power, powerlines may have contributed to lose of signal?) It took off wide open and ran aprx a mile across the lake until it ran into shallow, rocky water where it broke the rudder off then ran into the bank! It was a little difficult to crank too. He had to put thumb over carb to choke it and it did run good once he got it cranked. It ended up selling it to me not long afterwards. I put a carb on it with a choke and primer. I bought a new rudder and a custom CNC clutch for it. Cranked great and idled in water but I made a water pump out of a windshield washer fluid pump off a broke down vehicle...lol (it served the purpose of cooling the engine while idling). Unsure if I'm going to keep it and add the dual rudders or sell it and get a different one. If this forum will allow it, is it possible for you to send pics of remote kill and your electric return to shore system? I may be interested in them if u want to sell them. Thanks. Oh, I had issue with rubber boot as well.

Originally Posted by nshumway
I got my shockwave last July and it has probably been in the water about 10 hours so far. I think the quality is very good overall but there are a couple small issues I have run into. First, the rubber rudder pushrod boots seem to break often- not a big deal though. Second, if you aren't watching the rope from the pull start will cut a groove in the hull but the top covers it up. Lastly the heads of the drivers and the windshield are flimsy. Again though not a big deal to me.

The Shoctwave 55 SS is quite fast out of the box and turns on a dime- it has been great fun thus far. I even made a kit that allows the boat to be driven electrically in case it stalls or you run out of gas. I have several other gadgets as well. Let me know if you need a remote kill switch or something like that.