RCU Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade Motor for Neo Fighter?
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 03:16 PM
Zeke74

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrade Motor for Neo Fighter?

I got my son a Tamiya Neo Fighter buggy for Christmas that came with the Tamiya RS-540 Torque-Tuned Motor. The stock motor seems to be sufficient on pavement but it's really getting bogged down in off road conditions.

I used to run 1/10 RCs way back in the 90s and I have tried to get back up to speed (no pun intended...well maybe a little) on motors but things have certainly changed. I'm finding it much harder to compare motors. If memory serves it used to be all about the RPMs back then and some motors still do focus on that but I see just as many others with specs that forgo the RPMs in favor of criteria like turn rotation or voltage. To my eyes there doesn't seem to be one particular industry wide criteria that I can use to compare all the various options out there. And I'm not looking to get him the fastest motor as it's his first RC Car. But I'd like to get him something that isn't troubled by off road driving and preferably can use his existing ESC, gear box, etc.

I reached out to Tower Hobby and they recommended the Tamiya Dirt Tuned motor. But near as I can tell that improves off road performance by adding torque but it's slower so it decreases on road performance.

If anyone can recommend a "happy medium" that he can just pop in without over hauling everything else I'd appreciate it. Thanks.