RCU Forums - View Single Post - 35% Van's Aircraft RV-6A
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2020, 06:38 AM
wingnutzster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris110
She did it, she did it !!!
Our 35% scale RV-6A had it's maiden last week. Still with the provisional canopy. Spinner for the three blade Biela prop is still missing, too.
But boy - it flies great!
Unfortunately on landing (strong sidewinds) the RV came off the runway (nervous pilot ;-) ) and bent it's nosegear just as the full scale ones. Nothing else hurt.
Yetserday we did the second flight, now with a spring steel nosegear instead of stainless steel and everything went right.
Our RV-6A is very agile but not nervous - just as the real one. Our scale model has just a little bit more power ... ;-) I think even a G62 would be enough.
For those of you who are interested: Most likely the RV6 / RV7 / RV9 will be availlable as a kit, trigear or taildragger ...
Sorry for your misfortune on the nose gear but I had to chuckle a bit, during the time that I was building the 7A there were a spate of nosewheel collapses on 6’s and 7A’s around the world, there was even a reputation being developed that the nosewheel design was a weakness and several modifications were introduced by 3rd party suppliers and even Vans offered an anti-shimmy mod (I have technical drawings and data on that mod if you require) but in reality the nose wheel design is as sound as any and in most cases there were factors like unusually rough runways, hard landings or other pilot error. It’s a credit to your design that it so accurately mimics the full size🤣 Compliments on a great build, it really captures the spirit of the full size. I still have builder drawings from the factory and have wanted to scale them to build as scale a model as possible at around 1/4th.

Last edited by wingnutzster; 04-03-2020 at 06:48 AM.