RCU Forums - View Single Post - Insurance for new flyers
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2020, 03:17 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Tree Doc
I have two R/C fields that are equidistant to my house in opposite directions, about 30 minutes or so away. I've read their bylaws and induction process and as I get into more complex aircraft, which may or may not happen, I'll likely look to the club at that point. For now, I fly daily and do so 5 minutes from my house in a great spot. My skills are getting pretty good with lots of recent "seat time" and when I'm a bit more "ready", I can fly over ag land that's 50 yards from my front door but my take-off/landing zone is a pretty specific spot. Not knocking the club environment but the effort for it just isn't a priority. If I can't do it often, when I want, and close by, I'd probably not do it at all. I have plenty of other activities that keep me busy. Flying full size is one of them but this R/C stuff with the modern tech compared to what I had 35 years ago scratches an itch.

I've poured over the AMA Safety Code ever since I got started. I'd bet their underwriter's lawyers could punch a bunch of holes in some potential scenarios that I have dreamed up happening but maybe not. I'll likely join for the support of the .org but I won't be giving up my own PL/PD insurance policies anytime soon.
I don't have a copy of the Emails anymore , because it was some time ago and I've changed computers a couple of times since then , but I asked your very same question of the lady at the AMA who handles the insurance (Illona Maine is her name , I'm sorry if I've got the spelling of her name wrong) and she told the the only two conditions for the insurance to be in effect is that you must be an AMA member in good standing , flying safely by following the AMA safety code , and you must be flying in a place where model aircraft flying is allowed . That's it , Fly safe according to the code and fly someplace where your not trespassing , and your covered .....