RCU Forums - View Single Post - Amateur trying to figure out a hydroplane
Old 04-09-2020, 11:49 AM
CarrowM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amateur trying to figure out a hydroplane

As I tend to do, I decided to start off RC boating with the hardest thing possible and bought a hydroplane. I am very familiar with RC cars and stuff, but I have never dealt with boats so I could definitely use any advice that people can give. I traded the guy I got this from a buggy I had laying around for this boat and 3 other hulls so I am just trying to get this one going really well before I start doing crazy stuff with the other hulls.

The boat is a 30” Hydroplane with a Tacon 3674-2800Kv motor (what came with the boat and is probably a little fast, but I’m only planning on running up to 4S), a Hobbywing Seaking 180A ESC, a 3/16” flex shaft driving a 38mm diameter prop. I don’t know anything about the pitch of the prop or anything as the only marking that the prop has on it says TFL 440. I have been testing it on two 3 cell 4000MaH high output batteries because that’s what I have. Also, the center of balance is about 3.5” behind the end of the sponson.

I’m not trying to set speed records or race but I would like to be able to drive it around the lake and still be able to haul a bit of ass. Any advice that could get me toward that goal would be much appreciated. The last time I tested it didn’t go very well. It ran much slower on 3S than it did on 2S (before I changed the ESC because the other one was failing) and just wouldn’t get up on plane. It also sounded like the motor wasn’t even working that hard when the throttle was pinned. I’m just not too sure what direction I need to be going to get this boat up and running good.

I'm new on here so I can't post pictures yet, but I will try to earn some points then post pictures
The following users liked this post:
RURC (04-09-2020)