RCU Forums - View Single Post - So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...
Old 04-12-2020, 02:30 PM
whittonm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same - Stuka death dive then Success

Originally Posted by mtrain
As I have said in another forum my first control line plane was a Cox Stuka.

It was in 1975, our last Christmas as a family before mom, and dad got divorced.

I was around 11 years old then, and had just recently flown my cousins Testor Flying Tiger. The Tiger was really fun, but a bit smaller than the Cox Stuka.

I wasn't adept enough back then to start, and fly the plane myself, so since my dad left I had to wait until that rare day that he would come over to start the engine.

Well about a year later he finally got around to it. I was so nervous, that when the plane was finally started/running there was a small crowd of kids gathered around.

I flew the Stuka one revolution before it started flying at an arch, then into the ground.

Then it was retired the closet, and finally lost to time.

Now I have another Stuka even with the original box to relive that day again.

So tell me what was your first plane, the year you got it, how old were you, and what was the story behind it..........thanks.
My first plane was a Cox Stuka, that I crashed on the first revolution and it was damaged beyond repair, it was probably 1966 or so. A few years later, I got a Goldberg trainer aircraft, I forget the name (little jumping bean?), it was 1/2 A and the motor was secured with rubber bands, it had a rubber band to keep the elevator up in case of slack liens, and it was built like a tank. I put a Testors 0.49 on it and learned how to fly successfully, probably in 1968. Went on to fly lots of Midwest profile stunters with Fox .25, Fox.35, etc. We used to move our engines around because we did not have the money to keep them on just one airplane. Moved on to RC and crashed my Falcon 56 and damaged it beyond repair - learned that I was more of a builder than a flyer, or very uncoordinated, or both.