RCU Forums - View Single Post - So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...
Old 04-12-2020, 09:17 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Sorry do335a , I was posting my message, stepped away, completed it and after submitting, see you had already addressed the CG Li'l Wizard.

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
A couple of my friends had those. One even let me fly his. I built the Stuntman 23. Which was anemic with the Cox .049 Golden Bee that I had. Don't remember how I got that. Climbs dives, wingovers, fine. I never did a loop, lazy eight, fly inverted with mine. It did need a little more "oomph" to feel better about stunts.
AFAIK, the Golden Bee had a freer flowing venturi system so it was a tad more powerful than the Babe Bee, but still had the same single bypass cylinder like the Babe Bee. I used the Babe Bee on a 21" span Sterling Beginner's Fokker E-III Eindecker profile, it had plenty of power. The later Black Widow had a dual bypass cylinder and as such was more powerful, probably would have been the right ticket for the Stuntman.

Half-A's are so affected by wind that I enjoy the heavier larger aircraft. My next CL aircraft I flew was the 38" span Sterling profile F-51 with a Testor McCoy .19 Red Head. After a 30" Sterling Ringmaster Jr. with OS .15FP, engine made it very nose heavy and as a result performance suffered although engine had more than enough power. 42" Sterling Ringmaster with Testor McCoy .35 Red Head was a pleasure to fly. I've got a few of the larger kits to build, 42" Sterling Hellcat profile, 33" Midwest P-40 Warhawk profile, 55" Brodak Focke Wulf FW-190 profile, 55" Brodak Continental profile.