RCU Forums - View Single Post - Insurance for new flyers
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2020, 10:57 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tree Doc
I have two R/C fields that are equidistant to my house in opposite directions, about 30 minutes or so away. I've read their bylaws and induction process and as I get into more complex aircraft, which may or may not happen, I'll likely look to the club at that point. For now, I fly daily and do so 5 minutes from my house in a great spot. My skills are getting pretty good with lots of recent "seat time" and when I'm a bit more "ready", I can fly over ag land that's 50 yards from my front door but my take-off/landing zone is a pretty specific spot. Not knocking the club environment but the effort for it just isn't a priority. If I can't do it often, when I want, and close by, I'd probably not do it at all. I have plenty of other activities that keep me busy. Flying full size is one of them but this R/C stuff with the modern tech compared to what I had 35 years ago scratches an itch.

I've poured over the AMA Safety Code ever since I got started. I'd bet their underwriter's lawyers could punch a bunch of holes in some potential scenarios that I have dreamed up happening but maybe not. I'll likely join for the support of the .org but I won't be giving up my own PL/PD insurance policies anytime soon.
The AMA is good about covering, and paying claims too. I know of more then one incident(involving other people), there were claims made, and AMA paid, no questions asked once everything was determined to be in compliance(which didn't take long at all). Definitely keep any other coverage of course...IE homeowners, some renter insurances, and maybe other areas of insurance may be sufficient also for your PL/PD, but the AMA coverage is no joke when or if you need it. They're very legitimate. One friend filed a claim for a broken car windshield and damage inside the car(plane came down on the windshield), another filed a claim for all his radio gear that was stolen from his vehicle. All was paid fairly and promptly. This was in the last 3 or 4yrs.

What your own PL/PD won't get you is membership or even a guest pass into an AMA sanctioned club. You will definitely need AMA obviously to participate in any of that at any AMA sanctioned club. The way I figure it, is it's just the cost of being in the hobby(I also have other insurances that would cover me too.. just sayin').. but for what I spend on any given model plane, the AMA coverage is peanuts.. and yes, I more get it too support the cause and hobby, and to be able to fly at any club I want(if they'll have me)... but it's real insurance.

PS... You don't have to disclose any information about where/when/what you fly either, as long as when/where/what you fly is in compliance with their code. It's really that easy, and no questions asked.