RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito FG-60R3
Thread: Saito FG-60R3
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 11:05 AM
Tom ling

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Inver Ted
Hi Sparky, I live in Ha Noi, Vietnam, sometimes. I'm Australian and until China (or the US, depends on who's conspiracy theory you believe (calm down, only joking, we all know it's the Chinese ) unleashed the virus, I shared my time between Aust. and Vn. Seems I'm going to hang here for a while until the virus is done. Yeah, I'm a newbie to RCU and planes larger than about.46 glow size. Been out of the hobby for too many years, so still feeling my way. These forums are invaluable and it's great to meet the guys here.

I gotta admit I'm floundering around trying to make sense of what to do about breaking in this FG-60 R3. And I'm coming to terms with spending over $700AUD on mods on a new current engine so it will perform and function as anyone would expect a new engine to do. My decision; I bought the thing without knowing what a disaster they are, so I'm going to git 'er done whatever that takes.

Unless I'm mistaken vids posted on this and the other forum (RCG) indicate that the timing mod causes a drastic improvement in starting, idling and transitioning.

The intake mod seems to have corrected the uneven cyl temps (mixture distribution) and provides better (than std.) lube to the bottom end and overhead gear. Not entirely undesirable features when running-in a new engine. Hence my question about doing the mods before starting it.

Is the Ray English intake mod the same as the MMM intake mod.?? I read somewhere that Ray's mod is now incorporated in std Saito production, I have no idea what that means for my engine.

You said "You need to determine what mods came on your engine..." True, any tips on how that can be achieved? I'm given to understand that Saito are not very forthcoming with info., nevertheless I'll contact them and see what they say. Does anyone else here know if the std. engine, as delivered from Saito, now has the intake mod done?

I'll check out your previous post as you suggest. I'm always up for new info.

There was some debate about whether the ECU throws a spark as the sensor first picks up the magnet (on approach) or if the spark occurs as the magnet leaves the sensor. Someone else posited the theory that it does both, claiming that under 400 rpm the spark occurs as the magnet leaves the sensor (retarding the timing to 30 degrees BTDC for starting), and at over 400 rpm the spark occurs 45 degrees BTDC as sensor first senses the magnet (on approach).

So the claim is that the std. Saito timing is 45 degrees BTDC and the mod adjusts (or corrects hahahahah) the timing to 30 degrees BTDCA. A bit of simple C=pie*D tells us that the difference, 15 degrees, is 5.76mm at the 44mm prop hub circumference. I haven't measured it yet, however, the difference between the approach and departure of the magnet could be close to 5mm.

I'm resigned to ordering both mods, it'd just be super annoying to find the intake mod (the expensive one) is already done when I go to fit it. Can anyone post a pic of the intake mod internals pls.?

Am I way off track here with all this? The reports of improved starting, running and lubrication and pics of cracked cylinders would indicate that for the standard FG-60 R3 there's room for improvement. It's great that you have had zero issues with your engine Sparky, however, I've seen enough on the forums to make me cautious.

I'm looking forward to hearing from experienced Saito owners, or anyone with insights, on all the above.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi rob, as far as I know the only engine MMM has said comes with the “new” backplate mod from saito is the Fg90, I am getting a 60 after enjoying my 33 (with both mods) if I buy a brand new 60 it would still need the backplate and timing ring to run at its peak.

regards Tom.