RCU Forums - View Single Post - What happened to all the Top Flite Kits at Tower Hobbies?
Old 04-26-2020, 02:06 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
And that's a major part of the problem. Corporate America looks at how to make the biggest profit while spending the least amount of money to do so.
What really drives me crazy is what I run into at work. Grown men have been hired to build aircraft and, sadly, they can't think for themselves. I've lost track of all the times I've been asked "So, what are you looking for?" or "So, what do you want me to do next?", considering I tell them to READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL and YOUR WORK MUST MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE SPECification manuals. It's really sad that I wouldn't trust a majority of them to help me build a plastic model airplane that requires paint and glue as most can't understand the pictures in the instructions or how the paint color locations are indicated. Do we really want people with that kind of mental abilities flying an R/C ANYTHING? You wouldn't dare talk about setting end stops, adjusting servo speeds or expo as those are concepts that are beyond the average person now days. It really worries me that society has gotten so stupid and I can only blame it on "smart phones" and technology as those coming out of school, regardless of it being high school or college, don't know how to think for themselves any more

As to the first part of this post you are 100% correct. When I was doing all the purchasing for a hobby shop both GP and Horizon were operated by people who knew the hobby. At some point that changed and both places started being run like huge corporations. There just isn't enough profit margins for that to happen. GP found out the hard way, unfortunately it appears that Horizon didn't learn the lesson.

Im at a loss as to what the second part of your post has to do with this thread. That being said, I have seen the same thing that you describe. Problem is though that it starts with upper management and works it's way down. HR is hiring guys without them meeting minimum requirements for the job. Then they are not getting the proper amount of training. Then the one thing that I have experienced a time or two, getting stuck with a supervisor that cares more about showing everyone who's the boss then he does about the success of his department. A good supervisor gives his guys the tools required for them to be successful. That could mean some additional training, allowing the employee to take some ownership of his position and allow the department to function as a team. He will also take notice of employees strengths and use them to benifit the team. Point out their successes, allow them to build confidence and they will never let you down.