RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scale control surface
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 10:49 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ps2727
I made a Cessna 120 a while back to a smaller scale and formed the fluted surfaces in thin aluminum. It was quick and easy and has proven sturdy enough for the job.

I cut two slots in a board about 1/2 inch thick at the proper spacing. Then using an oversized piece of aluminum from a pie "tin" placed over the slots I burnished the flutes with
another small piece of wood turned at an angle such that the corner of the wood pushed the aluminum into the slot to form a V shape. Once the first flute was made it was

moved into the second slot
to establish the spacing and the next flute was made. It went very quickly and the spacing was constant.
After the part was made it was trimmed with scissors to shape. After trimming the flutes needed to be reformed in the tool where the part was cut.
The parts were attached to the surfaces with contact cement.
Because the spacing was just right the trailing edges of the sheets formed a diamond shape at each flute, just like the full size. I also added a small flat piece on the rudder to simulate
the fixed trim tab.
The model in these photos is many years old and the surfaces still look pretty nice, even if it has taken some abuse from storage.
Maybe this process would work at a larger scale?
Paul
THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is what I'm talking about!!!
This is one of the rarest examples of scale modelling in RC aircraft and it looks real because it IS real although in miniature. Even with paint covering the surface, it has the look of sheet metal because that's what it really is and from my perspective, I can't even begin to say how amazing it looks.
If this material had been polished instead of painted, it would look like the full scale photo previously posted, plain and simple!
Ironically there's a bit of damage to the trailing edge which I'm sure was not intentional, yet it looks infinitely more authentic than any weathering effects I've ever seen applied to ​​​​​​​any model.

Last edited by airsteve172; 05-01-2020 at 11:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tailskid (05-07-2020)