RCU Forums - View Single Post - DoJ Issues Guidance for Counter Drone in US
Old 05-08-2020, 12:42 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R_Strowe
So I assume your theory is that Remote ID is fine because it'll allow LE to differentiate between friend or foe? So if there is no Remote ID then they must be a foe?
Uh...no, that's not what I said.

It is a combination of factors, of which valid RemoteID is just one. For example, the presence of RemoteID and a non-threatening flight path could be considered "Friendly." The absence of RemoteID would make it a "Bogey," given it is an unknown contact. The Rules of Engagement (ROE) would determine what happens next. Even with genuine IFF, I'm talking encrypted Mode IV, the absence of it does not automatically get one declared a "Bandit" or "Hostile." There's other confirmations required, as I'm sure there would be in the case of sUAS.

So presence of RemoteID does not mean you will not be engaged, for example if your sUAS is flying a profile that meets the ROE, you could be engaged regardless. However, the absence of RemoteID will make that engagement much more likely.

What about all of the traditional model airplanes, helicopters, sailplanes, etc. Relegated to FRIA's? If that was the case then the FAA during the NPRM process would have made allowance for a Remote ID solution that would be a retrofit to models NOT built as part of a "system".

But they didn't do that. Which means that even your helicopters will become illegal, unless you fly at a FRIA, and those are temporary, even by the FAA's own admission.
Yes, all those "traditional" sUAS will indeed be relegated to FRIAs - until such time those FRIAs go away. Now, if the FAA changes the rule to allow some retrofit solution, then I would support it. But even if that does not happen, I support RemoteID .... even if it means most of my fleet would be grounded.

My concern isn't that the bad actors will not use Remote ID, but that they WILL do so, by stealing some innocent modelers' info when they register. But bad actors would never do that, right?
Just as today, bad actors can steal your identity, your license plate, and a host of other things. And our system has found ways to deal with those, just as I'm sure they'll find a way to deal with cases where a bad actor steals the RemoteID information for someone's toy plane.