RCU Forums - View Single Post - Amateur trying to figure out a hydroplane
Old 05-13-2020, 11:07 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by trashcar
That looks like a miss vegas hull, as it sits the stut is to deep with to much negative pitch, hull should sit level with both sponsons and strut on a level surface. Ideally should be a 2100kv motor on 4s (2x2s packs in series) with rpm around 30k. prop should work, batteries need to be forward of the motor. boat will try to submarine on start up need to bump the throttle to raise sponson and go. Also rc hydros turn right with one turnfin on rt sponson set much deeper than yours. Good luck.
Trashcar, I take it that you run electric hydros, If that is correct, nice to know I have someone that might be able to assist me with this boat's issues.
CArrowM, have you had a chance to work on the boat and make any of the changes we've told you to make? As I see it, you have two options:
1) Listen to Trashcar and I as we both know what we are talking about
2) Don't listen to us and have a sporty looking barge
That said, I went back through your response to my last post and found some things that actually worry me:
1) You want a boat that will turn both ways
2) You were trying to remedy issues by throwing weight and money at the boat
You want a boat that will turn both ways, throw that hydro in the trash and buy either a vee hull or a catamaran, Now, at the risk of repeating what's already been said, here is what you need to do to start:
1) Trash the trim tabs and left turn fin. The tabs are usless weight as the rear of the boat is supported by the prop when it's running and the left side fin will cause the boat to barrel roll if you try to turn it at anything close to being on plane
2) Raise the strut so that the prop shaft is parallel to the bottom of the boat and the center of the shaft is even with the bottom of the sponsons. This is probably going to be a bit too deep but it will allow for fine tuning it later
3) Cut the top of the strut off at roughly 1/8" above the strut bracket. This will reduce the weight at the rear of the boat a bit and will also allow for some fine tuning later
4) Remove the battery trays and either move them forward or discard them. Many racers just use Velcro to hold their batteries in place
5) Was that radio install your idea or was it that way when you got the boat? Either way, it has to go as it's an easy way to get the receiver and servo water soaked and cause you to lose control of the boat. That rubber boot on the rudder pushrod was a water seal to prevent water from getting to the radio gear. You need to find a way to protect your radio gear from water, preferably a water resistant box of some sort that is as light as possible
We've told you what to do, it's up to you as to what you actually will do. Give us some updates as it's been 32 days since your last post and some of us are curious