RCU Forums - View Single Post - No More Woodpeckers
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 04:57 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The older Mkote was good, the stuff on the shelf today can't compare. The film is too stiff, not very pliable and wrinkles easily, and it also does not stretch well. Ultrakost, Oracover, and the HK rip off of it stretches easily, and shrinks very nicely around curves. Working on recovering my Chipmunk with the HK rip off covering, and it is some of the easiest film I have worked with in a long time. My last plane I used Monojoke on and had all kinds of problems around the curves where the plastic wouldnt stretch and crinkled instead, and it gets stiff at the edges making it difficult to get good clean cuts. In fact I had used Ultracoat as the base on the plane and then used monojoke for the secondary color, it is a Citabria which has the red stripes. The tip of the wings and tail are very telling as the white base is smooth all around the edges, but the red has ridges because it doesn't shrink enough. I'm done with Monojoke, sticking with Ultra and HK rip off films for the few planes I don't feel like spending a lot of time covering with cloth and dope or glass.