RCU Forums - View Single Post - Measuring max weight for boat
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 12:38 PM
sirick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I think mfr02 gave you your answer. Your initial question lacked much of the relevant information we needed to even help you out. If I were you, I'd take your design and find a computer program that can model your boat and see where that leads you. Otherwise, you can do as airsteve172 suggests and print your boat and add weight until it sinks.
That said, isn't a thesis supposed to be something researched by the author and not just repeating what you're told by others? I am curious how that works since it took me six weeks to write a term paper on the subject of internet and multimedia addictions for a psychology class back in 2009, using every source I could find starting with combing through several libraries and finishing by interviewing the owner of a treatment facility less than five miles from the headquarters of Microsoft. How ironic is that?
You are right had to search for material before i post. I just ask for guidance. Anyway one last thing. Searching the internet i found out about archimedes principle which states that the upward buoyant force that is exerted on a body immersed in a fluid, whether fully or partially submerged, is equal to the weight of the fluid that the body displaces and acts in the upward direction at the center of mass of the displaced fluid. So finding that mass of the displaced water will tell us if an object will float, correct? So multiplying the total length, width and height to deck of the boat, we get the volume of the displaced water. Mine is 13200 cm^3. Converting this to mass of water (Weight of 13200 cubic centimeters of seawater) we get 13.52 kg. My boat along with the load weights 2.9 kg. So does that mean the buoyant force will push out of the water the boat until it's weight is equal to the boat's weight?

Last edited by sirick; 05-21-2020 at 12:43 PM.