RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ending mini-lawyering ... is it past time for AMA to require members follow the law?
Old 05-23-2020, 08:22 AM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Prior to the 2019 Soaring Nats the LSF ( Soaring SIG ) approached the FAA and asked for a waiver to fly over 400' thus alerting the FAA directly of their intent to exceed 400'. The response I have heard from several sources is that the FAA came back with " You don't need a waiver, enjoy your event ". The Soaring Nats went forward as planned without interference from the FAA whom knew the event was happening AND were told straight up that they were going to exceed 400'.

Now before anyone puts words into my mouth, I DO NOT CLAIM THAT 400' IS NOT LAW! Simply that the FAA themselves are allowing us to violate said law. The question then is: If FAA themselves are not enforcing THEIR law, how do you suppose AMA is going to enforce it? With that said, I'm off to my Soaring club to get some practice in. I hope everyone has a pleasant Memorial Day weekend, to all the Veterans out there THANK YOU!
If the president of AAA stated in Traveler magazine that speed limits are only"general guidelines" he would be fired. So should Hanson.

No one said there aren't exceptions to the 400' limit. I'd say you're arguing yourself out of a hobby but it's a bit late for that.
The FAA isn't going to put up with AMA and Hanson disregarding the rules any longer with FRIAs.

Last edited by ECHO24; 05-23-2020 at 08:32 AM.