RCU Forums - View Single Post - Heng Long Tanks "Factory web site"
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 01:52 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Any competition would need DEEP pockets. I don't think people realize just how expensive it is to build molds and manufacture something. The initial investment it huge and molds eventually wear out and must be re-made. It costs millions to retool a car plant to make a different model vehicle and while some think their car is manufactured there, it isn't. It's only "assembled" there. The parts are manufactured off site by multiple vendors. I'm sure with these tanks the retooling is much less expensive, but that's because the huge initial tooling is pretty much the same for all of these tanks. There is a HUGE investment in the initial tooling. I'm sure the machines HL use don't make one hull at a time. I'm sure it has a bunch of molds in different stages of finish as new ones are being molded the molded parts are cooling to be demolded. Making one hull at a time would be a way to hemorrhage money by the hour as machines sit idle. To be honest we don't even know how much of the tooling or parts are made in house at HL. HL may farm out parts to other companies to produce just like companies like GM do. Hell, IBM didn't even make their own laptops. Lenovo made them for them for years and they just slapped an IBM logo on them until one day IBM decided to stop selling laptops. At that point Lenovo started putting their own name on them and purchased the "Thinkpad" license. HP does the same thing and Dell probably does too. HL has been very successful making tanks, but don't hold your breath for other companies to get into this game.