RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pluses/Minuses of Two Radio Choices
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 10:01 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Woketman
OK, so from all that you guys here have said this weekend, it looks to me like I need the following gear to achieve a dual path 2.4 link with 900 backup (and an FM radio at the field?):

DS-24
Two EX R12 2.4 GHz RXs (with dipole ant)
One EX R3 900 MHz RX
One CB210

Why is the dipole antenna better? And if it is, why don't all of their RXs use dipoles?
I guess I do not need a mag switch as I can either use the integrated R/C switch (turn on/off from the TX) or simply use old JR/Futaba/MPX/Kraft switch harness, right? I am heavily leaning towards Jeti, as you can tell. Thanks for the inputs.
woketman,

you can achieve the same with 2 R3’s. Much simpler and cheaper. Jeti sells them as a combo

i know peoplw like to put an R12, but i really have not found a reason to

I do have an airplane with an R12 as primary and an R3 as secondary (bvm mig15). I have studied the telemetries extensively and i see no difference at all between the two

i would go: CB200 and 2xR3’s.
and the choice to add the 900mhz is personal, but it depends a lot on the type of field you fly at. I fly out in the woods and don’t need it. But more urban fields where there is a lot of 2.4 noise, it seems
to be a very useful backup (peopme flying in LA swear by it)

i have a DS16, so not even a choice for me, but i have not had the first signal interuption in 100’s of flights (same with my buddies)

Hope this helps
jack