RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA membership interests
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 07:53 AM
jcmors

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ECHO24
Those are AMA rules. Don't make the FAA the scapegoat. AMA tried to force those drone hobbyists to pay
dues without making any effort getting the word out about what those rules are. The guy who hit the Black
Hawk helicopter said he didn't know he was violating any rules. Like I said, where was the AMA?

Can't have it both ways, all the benefits of a monopoly and no responsibility. That's why the FAA stripped
AMA of their monopoly and put them a FRIA box. Now the FAA will oversee the hobby.
Echo, while I get what you are trying to say, there are many people flying RC who have never heard of the AMA and have no clue as to the safety rules. I don't believe the AMA can be held responsible for not policing those outside of the membership as to following the safety code or the FAA regulations for that matter. In fact, many of the idiotic antics of some of these drone pilots seriously shouldn't require any forehand knowledge of FAA or AMA safety rules... flying a drone close to the Blue Angels as they fly overhead above a large populated city? Really? Should one need to know specifics of rules and regulations to determine that this is a terribly bad idea?
Now as to enforcing the safety rules within the AMA and regarding the conduct of an AMA member, that is totally different. An AMA member has agreed to follow the rules when they sign up for membership.