RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli f4u corsair build.
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 04:52 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Removable fire wall (cont).

I screwed that up!
Went to mount the removable fire wall on the fuse and it didn't fit. I forgot that the wing is very close to the fire wall so the tank wasn't going to 'make it'.
The last plane I did was a Z P-47 and no problem with that!
I used a heat gun to heat up the epoxy and the tank tray popped off.

A new tank tray was made that will be screwed onto the main service tray in the fuse. Fortunately, the main service tray had room at the front to mount the tank tray.

This puts the tank offset but I doubt if the lateral CG will be affected that much. Now the throttle/choke servos are on the right and the tank on the left half of the fuse.
This doesn't make the front totally modular but the tank, I can 'live' with it being separate as only a fuel line will need to be disconnected on the removable fire wall.
The big thing I hate is trying to adjust the throttle/choke servos from inside the fuse on a fixed fire wall.
The servos are easy to adjust when mounted on the removable fire wall. I can use some temporary wire extensions and, easily adjust the throttle/choke, visually while disconnected from the fuse.
40 oz tank: that should give me a 'few' minutes!

Double 4200 ma batteries up front for weight and safety: not spending hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to risk using just one battery on the receiver.
I've seen several planes crash due to only one battery for the receiver (both lithium and nicads).

HEY, everything fits!

And I made sure the new ignition module/battery tray doesn't interferes with the tank!
Still have to make a 'weight' box over the engine.

Last edited by samparfitt; 06-14-2020 at 05:03 PM.