RCU Forums - View Single Post - Discussion: Antenna position
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 05:51 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Antenna diversity is the key to avoiding RF related failsafes. Again, one needs at least three Rxers with three different polarizations to have 360 degrees covered at all times and that assumes that all three Rxers' antennas are not affected by some obstruction in the plane. That is a fact! Placing the Txers antenna anywhere near horizontal to the ground points the dead spot off the end of the antenna at the plane as we typically face the plane. It also shorts a significant amount of the RF signal to the electrical ground below you (i.e. it has no chance to reflect and/or reach the aircraft.) These are facts! Cross polarization ( i.e. Txer vertical and Rxer Horizontal and visa versa) eliminates ~ 97% of your RF on the path between the two. This is a fact!

So what is so hard to figure out that multiple Txer and Rxer antennas polarized such that at all times at least one set is polarized the same is more effective? Given that we fly our jets a lot further out there, flying with one Rxer with two Rxer antennas seems very risky to me. Same principal applies for the plane's power source. Given that we are using a lot of high powered servos, gyros and longer wire harnesses, etc. thinking that all that power will run through one little Rxer buss is just poor design. Those setups are a power failure waiting to happen, especially if digital servos are being used and plane is large (e.g. with long wire runs, etc.). Two power supplies in the plane is always better than one. Routing the power to the plane's servos going thru a tiny connection buss is a very basic design flaw.

If you want that jet to reliably stay in the air, you have to account for these design considerations before you build it. We are not flying around some foamy park flier a couple hundred feet out in front of us. To do what we do safely, one has to consider most design considerations more carefully. Also, using that same old park flyer transmitter is at best a significant risk! Diversity on both ends of the RF path to your plane is important!
The following users liked this post:
bodywerks (06-30-2020)