RCU Forums - View Single Post - Questions for AMA Membership Mtg - 25 July
Old 07-25-2020, 07:31 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me bounce around a bit, first respond to the “tone” issue, yet again. I first reached out to the EC on an issue in the period 2005/2006, doing so exactly as some here say I should. Did not even get the professional courtesy of a response - from even one member of the EC. I’ve checked my sent folders and I’ve reached out to them many more times since then, also with the same “tone” that some say I should, unfortunately similar results. So I don’t think it’s about tone. I think it’s the unwashed masses thing.

To their financial issues. I am baffled why some in these forums are so willing to forgive what is, but any measure, a monumental misallocation of resources in pursuit of a failed strategy and lack of vision (except for Hanson’s vision that is). The “we know they have problems...” response. Ok. But that’s been the refrain for years now, and each and every time there’s an emotional appeal to give them a break until past the _______ crisis (fill in blank). But that reckoning never comes.

To the why bother. I guess I’m an optimist, for I can see where AMA could have big role moving forward, but when Hanson’s vision is the only one ever considered, time is running out. It’s long past time for the tired and set in their thinking EC to go bye bye. Too old. Too narrow minded. Too focused on what used to be or “the way we’ve always done it,” and most certainly NOT at all agile in their organizational strategy thinking. I believe their is still time to do it, but the longer they wait the more dramatic the changes necessary (fiscal and thinking) will be needed. But step one is cleaning house. Step two is EARNING credibility with other aviation stakeholders - heck even DJI can quote data in manner consistent with other aviation stakeholders. By contrast, AMA just says they’re safe. And when asked why, it’s little more than “Because we say so.” What others want to see is some proof in familiar terms (not lagging indicators like insurance claims) which I’ve long advocated. Fast forward to recently in public meeting with Feds and other aviation stakeholders, and DJI can quote such numbers. In stark contrast AMA cannot. AMA had the chance to be ready for that day, but those "pretty smart guys" decided against it. That is lack of vision and "the way we've always done it" on full and open display. The problem is, it'll be members of the hobby that suffer.

As to the ban on RCG at the behest of some in these forums. Actuallly, it’s nothing more than proof of a cesspool of cancel culture in the hobby. Anyone who dares to question, is put on a “double secret probation” of sorts. Some undefined, arbitrary, never articulated limit on what one can say, how often they can say it, even what “tone” is allowed or not. And meanwhile the double standard is on open display. But again, it’s about silencing things some don’t want to hear - but that doesn’t mean it goes away.

So I’ll keep trying. If for no other reason that the ultimate vindication of eventually being proven substantially correct. For the “give AMA a break they’re the only....” group and general apathy from many members will seal the fate. As everyone is sitting around after, I’m confident someone will say “We should have listened”.

Last edited by franklin_m; 07-25-2020 at 07:47 AM.