RCU Forums - View Single Post - 8th Scale Aviation's, "CzechMate" Short-kit, Group build
Old 08-16-2020, 04:03 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim's skill as a professional woodworker pays off. He has clean cuts and does a beautiful job!

I however am an amateur woodworker, and have occasionally encountered issues in the past when slicing balsa in this manner -- especially when cutting into the grain. So my approach was more like a 5-year-old using training wheels to avoid crashes on a bicycle:

Beings the grain is running parallel to the keel, but I am forced to trim it at an angle, I used a straight edge as a guide -- resistance to help my knife better avoid following a potential split or other weak spot, and accidentally cutting too deeply into the sheeting. I also cut from the front, towards the rear of the fuse, so my knife won't "detour" into the path of least resistance and "bite" into the grain; thus slicing side of my fuse or accidentally splitting my sheeting. I don't know if I am being effective in wording this clearly and accurately or not, but in this way, I am essentially trimming off the un-needed tips of each fiber, rather than cutting into them more towards their base. All I can say is for what it is worth, "It works better for me." As always, you should do what works for you.

Note I am trimming at a bevel.

The alignment of the cut-outs for the wing bolts are also visible in this shot.

I trimmed the sheeting "close," with an Exacto knife. But will finish with a razor plane and sanding block.

Last edited by Iron Dog; 08-16-2020 at 04:06 PM.