RCU Forums - View Single Post - BVM F 16 (original)
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 07:16 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Thanks for your replies guys, very much appreciated, I will give it a go and use the x45 , particularly in keeping with Doug,s suggestions of keeping it light.The 45 is extremely light and will require only 1 litre of fuel, so should be lighter than a DF.
I will use my PB Core with 9 ch receiver and an I Gyro sat, after seeing that very high angle landing I will use attitude hold on pitch as well as roll.

Thsnks again for your replies, guys .

David.
Hello David!

Do I remember that you are also a retired 757 Capt? Or is that the other David in England? I try to replicate full scale, and if you think about it, full scale comes down the glide slope with 5 degrees nose up. So I try to replicate the approach.

The approach in the video was very poor and I was lucky that I didn’t loose it. I wasn’t flying a gyro back then, and you saw how stable it was at the high alpha. That was 12+ years ago and I was still learning, and since then, I have flown other F16’s, F18’s with the HSD F16 being one of the more challenging. I’ve learned that the secret of a perfect landing is the approach set up. Now, I trim the all jets for landing in the same way. Flying the race track pattern at half throttle, gear and flaps down, I trim for level flight. On the maiden, if your radio will do it, I use one of the knobs set up at 10% to trim the elevator with flaps down. Then add or subtract the percentage from what I have roughly setup in the flaps-elevator mix. Then delete the knob settings. With the F16, F18, 104, F4, etc, this will give a 5 degrees nose up attitude in level flight. For the F16, I’ve flown it in three different set ups. Everyone of the setup is using 20 degrees flaps. More flaps blank out the stab and makes for control of flight issues. The 20 degrees helps the attitude to keep the nose down.
Setting 1.) Stabilizers set as normal elevator. Ailerons are Flaperons at 20 degrees. 2.) Stabilizers are set to stabilators, and ailerons are still used as flaperons, so everything is moving. 3.) Ailerons are set to flaps at 20 degrees, ailerons are locked out. This is so flaps stay as flaps. And stabilzers becomes stabilators or tailerons increasing the left and right aileron movement. High speed flight, they don’t need to use much, as we all know.

I prefer #3. With 1 & 2, the ailerons are still able to work as ailerons. With the jet at 5 degrees nose up, it’s on speed. You are controlling the decent with power. Downwind to Base, maintaining the 5 degrees nose up, I reduce power about an 1/8 of a stick maybe a little more to a 1/3 throttle. This starts the decent, just as full scale. I then control the decent rate with throttle maintaining the 5 degrees nose up and pretty much hold 1/4 to 1/3 throttle until 2-5 feet off of the ground. Do not reduce power before then or you will end up short. The gear doors are huge speed/drag brakes!!! You do not hold off! Just hold the attitude and maybe increase to 7-10 degrees nose up and let it settle. If you hold it off, you get the landing that I had hitting the tail and fins slamming down the nose. This technique works for all of the high performance swept wing jets. The biggest thing that I don’t like about setup 1 & 2, is when the flaperons are moving, the down wing flaperon dumps the lift in turns. The outside, up wing flaperon doesn’t move. This results in the drastic sink rate when turning base to final. Unless you are prepared to bring power in for the turn, and reduce again to maintain the decent rate. Remember on a turbulent day, the ailerons are constantly moving and constantly dumping lift left and right.
I prefer set up 3 where the ailerons becomes flaps and ailerons are locked out. Tailerons then control roll rate and elevator as stabilators. This allows for a more stabilized base to final and doesn’t dump the lift.
If you have to go around, if you leave the gear and flaps down, you know that the jet is trim for level flight at 1/2 throttle. I usually leave them down going around at full power. Once to pattern altitude, I reduce my power back to 1/2 throttle and the jet is stabilized again.

Auburn2, I believe that my weight was wet. I just remember that it was double the thrust. The gear were awesome and the wheels made it track extremely true.

Right now, one of my C19 projects is refurbishing a SM 1/5 F16.

Stay Safe! Stay Well! Dan

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 08-24-2020 at 07:28 AM.