RCU Forums - View Single Post - Regal Eagle Recycled
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2020, 11:24 AM
john491
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have arrived at the "paint yourself into a corner" portion of this. There are several things I will be attempting that all need to happen at once. I want to make provision for my top hatch at this point for servicing the fuel tank and main retract units. I will be installing several sets of servos at this point, attaching the wings, getting the booms for the stabs installed as well as the stabs, elevators and rudders.
The problem is generated by the fact I am using a carbon fiber spar and the wings and elevator torque rods from the salvaged parts prevent simply sliding the parts together. I could get around it all by cutting all the hinges but wish to save myself the trouble.

I have prepared the fuse side with tunnels provided into the cores so I am ready if I decide to mount the aileron servos in the wing cores. The black is the wing spar , the brass tube in in the cable tunnel.

I extend the spars into each core about 5" inside carbon fiber tubes epoxied into the cores.

Ford Wilson came up with a solution for the connection of the front and rear fuselages which is very good. He is going to put a doubler on the top and bottom to join the two halves. I think it will probably involve modifying former F1 and deleting a spreader block meant to reinforce the joint but should work as long as the sheeting has not gotten in the way.
You can just see the aileron torque rods giving me the trouble at the top of the picture.
John