RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cordless drill for engine starter
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2020, 01:13 PM
sbingen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't it bad to run a motor without a prop?

Originally Posted by csturgeon80
I've used this technique multiple times when a pull starter breaks on my cars, boats and 2 different helis (pull starters and electronic starter assemblies fail on occasion... but if you're like me and to impatient to wait for parts to arrive..and you have the capability of accessing the back of the engine...a one way nut that fits the shaft (such as the ones used within a broken pull start assembly) can be utilized as a last resort...use a socket to fit the nut and a long enough extension if necessary..and use a drill to start it up...(might have to chase the one way nut when it gets thrown off the staft a couple of feet but it beats grocery shopping with the wife..in my case I used my Makita 18v drill...but found the connection from drill to extension to socket has a bit of play which causes wobble...so if you have a drill driver (impact driver) and the appropriate adapter...there's hardly any play...way less weight on whole rig...and they turn up more rpm with less effort...works great especially for those of you who ain't got no quit in you.....

stumbled across a noname china cheapy engine I found in my attic that I used briefly 10 years ago...cheap ebay purchase and after one day the pull starter broke (recoil spring) ...thing was frozen solid but I degunked it and this video was my first attempt at trying to start it after my degunking efforts (disregard the lazy very temporary motor mount) lol...(honestly didn't think it'd work so was reluctant to waste much time on it and yeah.. the fuel I had was at least 8 years old (30% cool power) And it was one of the easiest starts you'll ever see on a resurrected motor...