RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2003, 09:37 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (84)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Illuminate Me!

ORIGINAL: hannibal

Fella's, great ideas and discussions! I've currently got a TF .60 under construction and will try to use many of your scale ideas. One no one seems to have touched on yet deals with lighting. I have run wires for wing tip and tail cone lights but also know that the planes had a series of colored identification lights in the wings. Is anyone up on the lighting aspects in general of this aircraft? Any ideas or suggestions for doing it right?

Thanx
The TF Corsair kit calls for several balsa trees to be used in the tail that are carved and sanded to shape. Not having built this kit I was reluctant to "hollow out" for fear of carving through the piece on shaping. Having said that if I build another the balsa block that forms the top of the fuse tail can be "hollowed out" leaving enough thickness to glue to the top stringer. The bottom tail balsa blocks can also get similar treatment. I did carfully remove anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4 in from the rear formers. I enlarged the inner hole of each with a drum sanding bit on my Dremmel. I stayed away from areas that get glued or take stress like at the tail gear support. I also drilled F5 former with a 1in woodboring bit with two overlapping passes and cleaned it up with the Dremmel. I'm using a cockpit kit so the hole is not seen.
I'm not sure how much total weight I removed but every bit helps. Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24475.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	73403