RCU Forums - View Single Post - Phoenix 7 - Too Heavy?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 09:40 AM
misterv47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix 7 - Too Heavy?

Hi,

I recently completed a build of a Horizon Hobby Phoenix 7. I live in Denver, CO at 5400 feet, so that's where most of my problems with this airplane originate.

It has Robart 510 series air retracts, and an OS MAX 75 AX with JettStream muffler for power.

The problem is its weight. Right now, it is 8.75 lbs dry. That is 0.25 lbs more than what is suggested by Horizon as the highest weight in the manual.

I need to know: is 8.75 lbs too heavy for this airplane?

This plane has flown once, earlier in the summer. At that time, it had a Rossi 60 with a muffled tuned pipe. On its first and only flight it seemed very under-powered, it barely lumbered into the air after a long take-off run that used up most of the concrete runway we have. I flew it around and trimmed it out, making gentle turns as it struggled to stay airborne.

Re-engining with the current OS 75 AX came after this one and only flight, after I realized how under-powered this airplane was. I have broken in the OS, but have not yet flown the Phoenix again, I've been dragging my feet because I'm afraid that 8.75 lbs dry is just too heavy.

Is it too heavy? I COULD pull out the retracts and reduce the dry weight by a little under 12 ounces. But I'd like to keep the retracts if I could make 8.75 lbs work..

Any advice appreciated.