RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scale speed
Thread: Scale speed
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 01:24 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allanflowers
“Scale Speed” is apparently a term that invites differing interpretations.
The OP’s original question is very clear in the context he presented it. No room for interpretation there. He asked for MPH in scale speed. Period.

If one is talking about the impression – that ‘looks’ realistic – then one should probably start with the mathematical answer (divide the full scale speed by the scale factor – a very simple computation).Nonetheless, the math answer is very straightforward and a very good starting point.
Except for the fact that simple division does not get you to the true dynamic scale speed. Your equation is simply incorrect. One must factor the square root (see chart I attached in my previous post).

If one is talking about aerodynamics (Reynold’s numbers, wing loading, etc.) then we are off into the weeds. Nothing wrong with that but it is not the same thing as a purely subjective answer.
Of course we are talking aerodynamics here! We are in the aerodynamics forum and the OP asked for a scale speed in MPH, nothing subjective there at all. It would have been silly for the OP to ask for a subjective answer as he would’ve gotten the same results during the incident that caused his post in the first place!

One person here tried to introduce the totally obscure idea of ‘scale time’, then excoriates another person for talking about introducing ‘wing loading’. Really? At least some arguments are still based on some science, not science fiction.
excoriates? (At least you used spell-check this time!)
I simply stated that wing loading was a separate issue! LOL
You, on the other hand, ridiculed me for providing the CORRECT answer.

Regards,

Astro