RCU Forums - View Single Post - Oldie Question. Servos for Super Stinker.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:21 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Since your plane is built, there won't be too much info you can glean from the manual other then the CG location, and recommended control throws. The hardware info in the manual is likely obsolete, as hardware has improved considerably since then, and what was available back then most likely isn't available today.

I can say Dubro has a whole line of various /hardware/components, in several size ranges, for just about every application, from micro to giant. Dubro.com will give you something to study. I've equipped several planes in the size range of your Stinker, Matter of fact I've equipped planes from micros up to 150cc gassers with Durbo components.

I'm pretty sure the servo specs in the manual are also obsolete, when compared to todays equipmen and what we have available. I have 2 of the Midwest Extras w/50cc gas engines (spec from Midwest is 1.80 glow), and they do very well with about a 280oz servo.. which is probably overkill for the Stinker, but you might want to look at the Hitec D645's, which I'm sure will be well above what the Stinker spec calls for. They're a very decent affordable servo that might be perfect for your sport bipe, with about 180oz @ 7..4v, and steel gears.

The manual was written so long ago you'll find the specs might be laughable, as they wrote the manual for available components for that era. When you find a manual you'll know what I'm talknig about. A 200oz servo just wasn't mainstream or easy to get when the plane was designed, and the manual was written... whereas today something like a 150oz servo is a click away and available in many RC outlets... and affordable.

So check out Dubro, and see if there's anything you can use. I wish I had the manual for that plane, but those planes are now very rare. It should be a fun project for you. Good luck with your search.