RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 10:22 PM
Monty Python

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a very nice prop drive puller dave.

Now, a serious post regarding plastic apc and mas props. I qualify myself by stating that for the last 30yrs i have been welding plastic fitted to cars ( bumper bars and radiator tanks etc ) and motorcycle fairings ( accident repairs ) and also did a lot of large dia plastic ( here called black brute/polyethylene irrigation pipe ) pipe welding by machine. I'm still a government licenced and ticketed welder which qualifies me to weld any plastic used on large commercial projects. Now, back to apc and mas props, be careful bushing apc props, after testing a damaged one it appears to be made of mixed and recycled plastic which can be a little brittle as anyone who has had a prop strike with an apc knows. Did you notice when when the prop tips shatter you sometimes get fine cracks extending from the tip towards the prop hub? Not so with black mas props. On several occasions i've ground more than half an inch off the tips and still got airborne, why i like them for test flights.

ps mas props seem to be made of what we call "black brute" here, it seems to be made of a very tough polyethylene/propylene mix.