View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 12:18 AM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GYU HOBBY RC
I look forward to reincarnation.
I also have Savage.
It's an interesting product.
Interesting is one way to put it, but it was definitely the most bad@$$ and bomb proof truck out there in its heyday in my opinion. I'd like to think it forced Traxxas and everyone else to step their game up with regards to durability.

I have another update, I'm sorry to say that I'm a bit frustrated with this rig (Surprise surprise! Haha). I took it out a couple more times since my last update and it's been misbehaving. I ordered and installed an extended aluminum servo horn because I thought the stock HiTec one was flexing so much that it was simply acting like a spring and sucking up all the steering torque- I was wrong. For some reason this thing just won't steer, even at speed I barely get 10-20% and can only turn by hitting the brakes at full lock. There is no binding in the steering setup so I will take it apart one more time to confirm that, I don't see any reason why the truck would struggle to turn with a brand new Hitec 5645MG and Dynamite 1700mah RX pack.

The other issue is the Picco, I figured it was about done but this very last time I had the truck out- it was miserable. I'd be lucky if I got 10 minutes of run time and went through 2 glow plugs. I barely got any time to run before sunset but as I was packing up I noticed that my fuel return line had torn at the exhaust- so here's hoping that was the culprit!!! (Fingers crossed).

Otherwise I've been keeping an eye out for a new engine and I'm still not sure of what to do. Could go cheap with a Dynamite Big Red but I've been reading that the pull/ rotostart combo is garbage and breaks in short order. I could also go with an LRP 32 but once again, I'd have to figure out a starter situation and as far as my research got me- they no longer sell the roto adapter for these engines and I can't find any thread of someone cobbling something together. Essentially I'd have to buy one and hope I can make something fit. Short of that I don't see any more options and unless I get the LRP I don't see anything coming close to the Picco being able to hit second gear wheelies on such tall gearing (18/47).

I'm swamped with work for now so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get the truck out again, but replacement fuel lines should be here early next week so here's hoping for a change of fortune next time!