RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cleveland Model Parkflyer Racers
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 07:53 PM
Rob11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleveland Model Parkflyer Racers

Hey guys,
Im Rob, was wondering if anybody out there is as interested in making park flyers out of the plans you can get from cleveland models, I had started a Laird Turner Meteor scratchbuild at the beginning of this your, but decided to abandon the build due to lack of decision as wether to turn it into a control line model or RC. In the end, i ended up giving it to my son the last time I saw him, before my x wife ran with my children. but I am planning a new build of the same original cleveland plans, a few questions that ill have to answer first would be, am i still going to with the 1/12th scale plans like the first build, and am I going to get another FMS B-25 prop and hub set and try to cast them in aluminum(these are exact to scale on the 1/12th scale plans), Do I really want to stay with the Hobby Lobby 2" pine wheels like the first build, am I going to scratchbuild a freewheel like the first build, or just leave a pine slid in rear. Do i want to use 3/32" balsa for ribs and formers like the first build, or go with 1/32" bass instead for added strength, and hopefully less weight, do i want to add an access hatch on top of the fuselage like the first build, or just use the canopy for a hatch, since the first build was majorly nose heavy with the norvel .074 sticking waaaaay out front like scale appearance, do i want to stick with the engine box mount or change up the mount to a bass or pine stock mount to save weight, i think if I did this, the fuel tank would be force more to the rear which would help the CG and not need so much weight in the rear, Do I want to totally conceal the aileron servos, or just have holes in the wings that they slide into? Do I want to stick with the brodak metal tank, or go plastic? and does anyone have any opinion on the sticker printer paper you can get from Hobby Lobby. I was thinking that i could google the decals that are in color and print them on the sticker paper, then apply them to the model. and yes gentlemen, this will be a Balsa, silkspan and dope model, I want to build it as close the original model kit in the 30's, with just a couple changes, like an engine and some radios, I have seriously been thinking of switching to bass wood for the frame, but the glue i make, doesn't adhere and hold well to hardwoods, so i am torn, not that im a junky like some of these horrible people today, but the smell is nostalgic to me, looks orange, like the original too, the glue company went out of business years ago, so ive been making my own ever since, and it holds balsa solid, the balsa will break before the glued joint will.