RCU Forums - View Single Post - Freewing Mig 29 EDF to Turbine Conversion
Old 11-29-2020, 06:39 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Keith and I flew our Mig-29 turbine conversions several times this weekend. The jet is great and my favorite of the conversions I have done. Getting 8.5 min flight times with all the wing stores on and landing with 2-3 min reserve fuel. The sweet spot seems to be around 65-85 mph. Final turn and approach is about 45mph and touch down at 35mph. Slow flight and high AOA is awesome. The jet will park in high AOA and is very stable. It can be held at about 70-80 degree pitch with thrust and will even start to tail slide if thrust is reduced. I did see the deep stall a few times and entry into a flat deep stall spin a couple of times. Recovery was prompt with lots of thrust, down elevator, and anti spin rudder. Not sure where the CG is now since I did several adjustments. It's probably around 160mm now. I started the weekend at 165 but it was a little too close to the edge for me as the nose wanted to hold a higher than desired pitch on final. Its really fun and easy to fly and I'm impressed with how tough the gear and airframe is. I has some turbine shutdown problems and did several dead stick landings before I got it sorted out. Two were hard high AOA tail first with nose slam down that stuffed the nose in the dirt. Each time the there was no damage except for a crumpled nose cone. New one on order. Over all a great fun jet to fly with some simple mods.
Gary

The following 5 users liked this post by Viper1GJ:
alasdair (11-30-2020), Aussie1 (06-09-2023), jescardin (11-30-2020), jsnipes (11-29-2020), raydar (11-30-2020)