RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite Zero
Thread: Top Flite Zero
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 05:33 AM
gonzalobures

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default A Original Gold Edition Top Flite A6M2 Zero 60" still operational

I have always liked the looks and flying characteristics of the Zero, especially the A6M2.
In 1988 I built the Top Flite Golden Edition Zero. The 1st Golden Edition was composed of various scale models including: F4U Corsair, P40, P51 Mustang both D and razor back, P47, A6M2 Zero, P38 and some I do not recall. I still have the model and still flies with the original engine and radio. At least one flying day I take it to our club and fly it. Only the batteries have been upgraded to LIFE 2S 2Kmah.
The Zero was my 3rd RC model ever. I decided to build mine using Saburo Sakai’s model as pattern. It is a 60” wings span model. The Top Flite Zero, is a fully planked model, both wing and fuselage and with very little area inside the model for equipment. Been my 3rd building experience and the 2nd scale model, the first was a Piper Cub clipped wing, I went slow in the construction learning a lot in the process. I decided to construct the Navy version so gray it was.
The model is powered by an OS 90 glow engine with a Pitt’s special muffler turning a 15 X 8 prop. I used an all metal, one piece engine mount to mount the engine made by Sullivan, I think. The model was design for a 60, but I needed weight to balance the short nose fighter and obtain the CG. I also built an air dam for cooling and mounted on it a radial engine mockup. All this nose weight was welcomed. Better than dead lead.
The model is guided by my C 9 channel Futaba radio, still in the old MHz frequency. It uses 6 channels for the four basics plus spilt flaps and retracts. It has Romm air retracts and a fix tail gear. I used two servos for the ailerons, not to common in the 80’s.
I also built a full cabin with a pilot look alike of Saburo Sakai that my wife made. At the time pilot figures had to be homemade. Only plastic, not to real figures were available. Most cockpit instruments and items were copied. Remember, its .60 model. Not too much space available.
I made panel lines for the 1st time and also rivets. That was fun and interesting. Especially since at that age patience was not in my vocabulary.
Since 1988 the Zero has flown very well with very few and minor accidents. It has never crashed. It has won some scale competitions in Puerto Rico, Including a 2nd place in the Coqui Nationals.
I still enjoy the A6M2 Top Flite Zero. It’s challenging now since I have gotten used to the bigger models we fly today. I still don’t like the messy glow fuel and the OS 90 purrs like a kitten. Hope to be able to fly and enjoy this Zero for some more time.