RCU Forums - View Single Post - BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!
Old 12-07-2020, 09:47 AM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by patniven
Yep. All servos installed (Spektrum A6320 Brushless), gear/controller installed and wired. I found that the supplied control surface linkage did not work with my Spektrum servo arms and although I have a million Dubro HD servo arms in the shop, they are all sized for a different spline! I went with the stock arms and replaced the spherical rod ends on the servo arm side with Golden Clevises soldered to bulk 4-40 rods. All of the supplied rods were either too short or too long to be used. If you haven't built a twin-boom before, I'd recommend you break up the servo wires in the booms with connectors at the fuse/boom joint; otherwise, if you ever have to remove a boom, you'll be doing some major surgery. Don't ask me how I discovered this...at the FIELD!

Getting that step done is a huge step, lots of time involved. Good idea on the hardware. I decided to ditch some of the h/w as well. I am not going to use the hinges, ball-links or push rods that came with the jet. I bought Robart hinge-points and Du-bro HD ball-links. On my last build (Rebel) I made my own custom push-rods out of threaded-rod and carbon tubing. I do not plan to go there on this one, I just went with off the shelf H9 rods.

I have built a boomer before, and I do plan on having a connection for both servo and light connections at the wing-joint and at the joint between the stabilizer and the vertical fins as well. I do not plan on removing the booms for transport, but I do plan for unfortunate eventualities that may come up. But thank you for the heads up. In fact, if you see anything that looks amiss or want to share ideas, please feel free. I'm always open to learning how others do things. That is exactly why I share on RCU, it may help someone.
The following users liked this post:
patniven (12-07-2020)