RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA's new "free benefit" isn't new at all ... LAANC's been free for a year already
Old 01-06-2021, 12:04 PM
R_Strowe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Tempted though I may be to comment on Speedy's latest demonstration of clairvoyance, knowing what healthcare commenters here in this forum have and do not have, the point this thread is the new free LAANC benefit. One would think such a thread purity warrior as Speedy would hold himself to the same standard he selectively complains about for others, but I digress.

As noted earlier, LAANC has been free through other providers for over a year (maybe longer, I just can't cite with certainty). The goal of this, along with the telemedicine and God knows what else is other sources of revenue. The AMA is an organization who's principal purpose is service to recreational flyers. But this "new" LAANC provider makes money (and thus AMA cut) on up-sells, mostly geared toward commercial operators. Outside of the obvious disconnect between a recreational organization courting commercial flyers, the real question is why does AMA need this money?

The need the money because membership revenue continues to plummet. They're tripping over dollars (retaining members that are leaving or downgrading) to pick up pennies (small cut on small number of commercial user up-sells). I'm sure the person spending staff time putting together this deal could have spent time calling every member that did not renew and find out why. And when all of those are done, maybe they could call everyone who's within a month of renewal and showing some personal contact and concern ... the ask for their vote kind of thing. The personal touch. Or maybe call every "free youth" member that didn't convert to paying when they turned 19 and find out why. That's chasing dollars.

Lets say you don't care about membership. Ok. How about calling each and every club that hasn't renewed? Or each and every club that hasn't completed paperwork? Maybe help them with it or even do it for them. AMA has a lot more to lose long term with fewer clubs overall. Or maybe help clubs that are searching for new flying sites? Instead of tossing into the lap of the club, actually HELP them.

Or maybe the CD / EM program. If indeed events and competitions are good for the AMA, why are we charging people to do what they want to them to do ... get qualified? Or having them go through the website and clean out all the dead links, documents that haven't been updated for years, or are just plain wrong (like many that still reference 336 despite 336 being repealed in its entirety over two years ago)?

My point is there's lots of other functions they could be doing instead of chasing a few pennies from things with tenuous connections to the organization's core mission.
https://amaflightschool.org/getstart...ew-flying-site

Before Tony Stillman was doing this, it was Joe Beshar (a personal friend of mine). Unfortunately he passed away in 2014. However, he used to work tirelessly helping club both find new flying sites as well as improve existing ones. If I remember correctly he was the eastern US coordinator, and Tony became the western coordinator.

If you go to the link provided you will see one of the major issues, that being potential locations for flying sites. The east coast is pretty much devoid of suitable land. But last I checked, the AMA still has this available as a service. Just because they wouldn't help you build your field on a military base doesn't mean they don't assist clubs trying to find and build flying sites.

R_Strowe