RCU Forums - View Single Post - Any OG Members Around Anymore?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 08:40 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I might still peek in once in a while. My issue was time. I joined the electrical workers union and went through their apprenticeship for the past 5 years. Everyone has work and other things in their lives that take up time; but I didn't have much free time between work and the school associated with the apprenticeship. In general I slowed down with the RC hobby; focused on work / school, focused on family, focused on trying to move the family. Then my dad passed and I was helping my mom for a few years then she eventually moved out of state to live with my brother. I just didn't have a desire either to spend time on the hobby.

Interesting to see that while I was away from the RC world I've noticed many brands have disappeared, Horizon took over Great Planes, Traxxas is doing their own distribution, the Hobby Town in Fresno looks like a ghost town when they used to be stocked up with all sorts of RC products. Parts are harder to acquire these days. I want to support my LHS as best I can but nearly half of what I'm looking for has to be ordered anyhow. There are 3 shops in my general area and they're all about a 30 minute drive from my house. I think Hobby Town in my area is a lost cause, the one in my county is a good shop but he focuses more on flying machines and less on surface vehicles but I may try to keep him afloat. I think the 3rd shop is my best bet; he's been around since I was a kid and focused on racing platforms. He was the Associated / Losi guy in town. I've been thinking about a new Losi SBR 2.0 and as long as I have to order it then I may as well give him the profit from the sale.