RCU Forums - View Single Post - Blue Angel Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 01:37 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

There are a ton of options depending on which direction you would like to go. First off Jester is correct about radios. Currently the most popular brand among sport fliers is Spektrum so if you go that route you will always be able to find help. I use the Hitec Aurora 9 channel which unfortunately is no longer in production but come up on the classifieds all the time at very reasonable prices. IMO the easiest to program radio out there. Servos, again stick with relitivly known brands as there are many brands out there right now. Futaba, Savox, JR, MKS, KST are brands that I feel comfortable suggesting. The one common thing that I suggest with the 2.4 sets is to use a 6.6V LiFe RX battery.

Retracts, on an old school bird I still prefer mechanical. Linkage is a pain but with the newer, more powerful servos available it gets a bit easier. You may want to investigate electric retracts. Just google " servoless retracts " and you will get a good range of options.

Engine. Things get a little sticky here. I don't like many of the current production engines. IMO we had better quality engines in the '80s. I would be searching the R/C classifieds for a period correct engine or the only modern engine I would consider would be the OS 55. Obviously on a Blue Angel it will be easy to go nose heavy with an engine such as a Rossi or Picco. Maybe something like the Enya III .60 but with a muffler?

Speaking of pipes and mufflers. Pipes are getting hard to find and bring big money when you do find one. Then you need the correct header with the right amount of drop then you need to tune the thing. You may want to google Jett Engineering. They have a line of mufflers that are simply bolt on that will give very close to the same boost as a pipe. They also have engines ( their 56LX would be a great match for the Blue Angel ) but are a bit pricy. That said they are worth every penny IMO.

So like I said, options. If you have any questions about the items I mentioned or anything concerning your project I will be more then happy to answer them as best I can. Good luck and welcome back.